- The city
Obelisk. Square of the Republic - Av. 9 de Julio and Av. Corrientes, San Nicolás.
Inaugurated in memory of the fourth anniversary of the first foundation of Buenos Aires. Surrounded by flower patches and shields of the argentine provinces. Architect Alberto Prebisch.
Monumental Tower. Av. del Libertador y Av. Ramos Mejía, Retiro.
At the beginning it was known as the Tower of the englihmen, inaugurated in 1916 in Retiro. Today, with the name of Monumental Tower and since it was reopened in 2001it is a new cultural attraction and the infromation center of museums in Buenos Aires.
Monument to Julio Argentino Roca. Diagonal Sur and Perú.
Julio Argentino Roca (1843-1914) was president of the Republic in two opportunities (1880-1886 and 1898-1904). He was involved in the Cepeda and Pavon battles and in the war of Paraguay. He was war minister and who encouraged the Dessert Campaign. Monument covered in marbel with two sculptures in its base that represent Patrotism and Work, crwoning the monument the figure of Roca in bronze. It is a work of José Zorrila de San Martín. Inaugurated in 1941.
Monument to the Spanish. Avenue Sarmiento and Avenue del Libertador
Known as Monument to the Spanish because in 1910 it was the centenary of the May Revolution and the spanish donated this monument to the city, but its real name is “The Magna Carta and the Four Argentine Regions”. There were several conflicts that delayed the inaugurations for a long time. In 1910 the main stone was placed but the present was not ready for the celebrations of the centenary as the architect died a year after finishing the sketches. The same happened with Cipriano Flojeras who became the responsible in finishing the project. It was even more delayed due to the shipwreck in 1916 of the spanish ship , “Prince Asturias”, which transported the original bronzes to build the monument. A year later copies were ordered to Spain, they were ready in 1918 and the monument was eventually finished in May 25, 1927.
Monument to Carlos Gardel. Chacarita Cemetery (Guzmán 670)
By 1871, Buenos Aires was dealing with a very strong epidemic of Yellow Fever, which forced the building of the Chacarita Cemetery. Here we find a suclpture in bronze and natural size, which represented Carlos Gardel, who died in a plane crash in the airport of Medellin. The Monument is now a place of pilgimage and many in honor to this successful artist, put a cigarette on his right hand and a bouquet of carnations on the left one, as Gardel used to do.
Monument to National Ballet. Plaza Lavalle, over the street Libertad, between Lavalle and Tucumán.
Monument in memory of the dancers of the Colon Theatre, who died on a plane accident in La Plata river. The Figures of Norma Fontenla and José Neglia occupy the center and main place in the sculpture. Authors of th monument wereCarlos de la Cárcova and Ezequiel F. Cerrato. Inaugurated in 1972.
Monument to Lavalle. Plaza Lavalle, facing the Court Palace and a few meters from Colon Theatre.
The monument to Juan Galo Lavalle, by the Uruguayan Pietro Costa, is 18 meters height and was inaugurated in 1887.
Lavalle was born in 1797 in Buenos Aires and died in 1841, fighting against the Governor Juan Manuel de Rosas. He is direct descendant of Hernán Cortes (Mexico?s conqueror). He was involved in the battles of independence, as politician and militar.
Monument "Song for the Work". Av. Paseo Colón 800
This singular monument is composed by 14 human figures in bronze. It was created by Rogelio de Yrurtia, argentine sculptor who lived between 1879 and 1950.
Jaguar of the Chacabuco Asamblea and Emilio Mitre. Chacabuco Park.
Carved in 1935 by Emilio Sarniguet. Transported in 1977, recovered in the early twenty-first century and located again on the park.
Monument Los Andes. Plaza Los Andes, Av. Corrientes, Av. Jorge Newbery, Guzmán y Av. Dorrego, Chacarita.
Los Andes Monument represent the Calchaqui, Tehuelche and Ona villages. Created by the sculptor Luis Peoltti.
Monument to Red Ridding Hoodo. Av. Sarmiento y Av. del Libertador, Palermo
Acquired in 1937, work by Jean Carlus, french sculptor.
Fountain Monument to Mr. Pedro de Mendoza. Lezama Park -Brasil and Defensa, San Telmo
Pedro de Mendoza was the great spanish conqueror and who founded the first city in Buenos Aires. In this monument in his honor, he appears in bronze, with his sword stuck on the floor and a marbel wall that is behing him with native figures, symbolizing the conquest of these spanish lands. In addition, the monument has two oulets which represent the Guadalquivir river and la Plata river, from where it started and then ended with the expedition of the conquest. Work built and designed by Juan Carlos Oliva Navarro, inaugurating it on 23 of Junes of 1937.
Evita Square. Monument. Av. del Libertador y Agüero, Recoleta.
Th 6 of December, 1999 the monument to Evita was inaugurated, made in bronze. Work of the argentine sculptor Ricardo Gianetti. On the base it can be read: “To Maria Eva Duarte de Peron”, “Legacy of light, flagpole and flag”(right lateral), “Anthem of honor and exaltation” (left lateral). On the floor, built in a cross shape, we can read: “She knew how to dignify women, give protection to the children and the old, renouncing to her honors”. “She wanted to be just Evita for ever, eternal in the people´s soul, improving the human conditions of the humbles and workers, fighting for social justice”.
Monument to General C. M. Alvear
Monument built by Antonio Emilio Bourdelle, apprentice of the french Auguste Rodin, in honor of one of the greatest figures in the argentine history, Carlos Maria de Alvear. President of the Assembly of the year XIII and Supreme Director of the United Provinces of La Plata river in 1815 and also, collaborator of San Martin.
Generic Floralis. Square of the United Nations, Av. Figueroa Alcorta and Austria.
Its name is because of the flowers rule of naming the different species in latin, and for representing all flowers and being part of the flora it was called Generic Floralis. Its designer, Eduardo Catalano wanted to pass on, through this singular, elegant and beautiful sculpture, what a flower meant to him: “it is a synthesis of all flowers and at the same time it is a hope that is reborn every day when it opens”. It opens every day at eight in the morning and closes at sunset. The console in its base is in charge of regulating the flower automatically. Donated to the City Government in 2002.
Nereidas Fountain. South Coastal.
The Fountain of the Nereidas represents the Venus Goddess, goddess of love and beauty, emerging from the sea, hold by newts and nereidas. Lola Mora was the sculptor of this piece of art, which in the beginning was very criticized because of the nudes but then it was declared National Historic Monument. It was a donation of Mora in 1903 and in 1918, after being accepted by society, it was placed in the old breakwater of Tristal Achaval Rodriguez Avenue.
May Pyramid. Plaza de Mayo.
A year after the freedom of the country, the first patriotic monument was inaugurated (on May 25, 1811), the Pyramid of Plaza de Mayo. Sometime after, Priliano Pueyrredón modified it, leaving its inside intact, but placing the Liberty Statue where the Colon Theatre used to be.
Monumento to the two Congresses. Square of the two Congresses; behind Av. Entre Ríos and besides Rivadavia street.
Work that won an award in Rome, for its delicate and detailed work, a unique and beautiful monument created by JulesLagae with help of the architect Dhuicque. The monument is in memory of the Assembly of the year XIII and of the Congress of Tucuman in 1816, that is why it is symbolic work, the female figure in the cneter of the monument symbolizes the victorious and facing up to the future, the branch of laurel in her right hand represents victory and the plow guide stands for work. On the other side, we can see a man almost naked between acquatic plants who is waving to the sun with one hand and with the other he is holding his paddle. To his sides, there are two men pouring water as reproducing the Parana and Uruguay River. Surrounding the sculpture there are horses, condors andspecies of animals.
Buenos Aires Obelisk. Plaza de la República, Av. 9 de Julio, 400 and Av. Corrientes, 1000.
Monument of 72m height and 49m2 of base, it reminds on its fours faces very important events in the history of Buenos Aires. The arrival of Pedro de Mendoza in 1536, the Foundation of the City in June 11, 1580, the Federation of Buenos Aires in 1880, the first time that the Argentine flag was raised on the tower of the San Nicolas de Bari Church in 1812. In the beginning it was rejected and doomed to be demolished, but in the end it was accepted and today is the emblematic symbol of Buenos Aires and its inhabitants. White, with 72m2 and 49m2 on the base, with 206 steps that take us up to the small windows and from where you get the best views of the city. Inaugurated in May 23, 1936, in memoery pf the centenary of the Buenos Airs foundation.