- The city
- The neighbourhoods of San Telmo and Monserrat are witnesses of Buenos Aires history, showing the true identity of the city. In them we can see and appreciate houses made of stone, old streetlamps, balconies, the famous cisterns, churches, museums and fairs, cafes and one of the main and greatest character of the hsitory, Tango, which you can listen to in every corner. These neighbourhoods are located to the south of teh city and form its historic area, they keep the memory of Buenos Aires and its inhabitants.
- In 1580, same year of the second foundation of Buenos Aires, Juan de Garay decided that the Major Plaza, today known as Plaza de Mayo, should be located between Balcarce, Rivadavia, Bolívar and Hipólito Yrigoyen streets. This famous square was the scenario of several historic events, as the May Revolution in 1810 (in the center of the square there is a pyramid in honor to the Revolution Anniversary), here the independence declaration was signed in 1816 and the National Constitution in 1860. From 1977, after the great argentine dictatorship, it was where the Mothers of Plaza de Mayo claimed for the appearances of their sons. Today this controversial Plaza is still the meeting poitn for social manifestations.
- Balcarce 50
Though th actual building was finished in 1884, this is the headquarter of the National Government since the First Meeting in 1810. The presidential entrance is over Rivadavia and in Yrigoyen is the entrance to the Museum of the Pink House. In the rear facade you can see the remainings od the old custom.
President Sarmiento was who decided to paint the Governement House pink.
Rivadavia and San Martín
On these lands, in 1622 the first Cathedral of Buenos Aires was built. The building that we see today was finished in 1822 and in it we can find paintings and sculptures of italian artists especially. What is more, in its mausoleum the rests of one of the indenpendence heroes rest, General José de San Martín.
In the early eighteenth century the construction of this building started. It suffered several modifications through time.
The Cabildo was the institution that in times of the colony represented the interests of the people and it was where in 1810 the Firste Meeting took place and then the declaration of the independence.
Today, inside we find the Museum of the Cabildo and the May Revolution.
Alsina, Bolívar, Moreno, Perú
Iglesia San Ignacio - Colegio Nacional Buenos Aires
In these lands the Jesuits settled down in 1633. The San Igancio Church was their major temple. It started building in 1686 and it is the oldest one in the city.
In 1767, the Jesuits were expelled and the University of Buenos Aires and the National Congress occupied their place here.
A singular characteristic of this famous Block of the Lights are its underground galleries that connect the buildings that surrounded it.
Alsina and Defensa
In 1730 constructions started based on the design of Andrea Bianchi, to be inaugurated in 1754. Its German baroque style is thanks to the german Sackman, who remodeled it in the early twentieth century. In the front we can appreciate figures sucha as the one of San Francisco de Asís, Giotto, Dante Alighieri and Cristóbal Colón. Then in 1955, after a fire in which part of the inside decoration was lost, tapestries of 8 by 12 meters were placed over the altar in order to repair it, the largest tapestries in the world. The San Roque Chapel, with its delicate images in polychromed wood, shares the atrium with the Church and the Convent.
Plazoleta San Francisco.
Alsina and Defensa
Due to the great amount of faithfuls who attended to church, an extension of the atrium was forced, that is why the San Fransisco square was created. In the past the May Pyramid was surrounded by sculptures of Astronomy, Industry, Geography and Navigation.
Avenue Belgrano and Defensa
One of the few churches that still keeps itsa original structure. The constructions started in 1752 and inaugurated in 1733. It still has the Jesuit plant of three naves and the lateral chapels. Here the rests of Manuel Belgrano rest.
May Avenue 575, Monserrat
National Historic Monument. Today occupied by the Culture House of the Government of Buenos Aires, which organizes shows, workshops and courses, and occupied also by other governement offices.
Building from the nineteenth century, it has six floors, two undergorund floors, central patio. It is one of the most luxurious buildings in the city. Inaugurated in 1898, José C. Paz, founder of La Prensa newspaper, was responsible for this construction in charge of a studio of architects from Paris.