- The city
- Comprising the districts of San Telmo and Montserrat which living testimonies of the history of Buenos Aires. We still find along them cobbled streets, old streetlights, balconies with cisterns, churches, museums, traditional cafes and hear Tango,a protagonist in the history of the city.
- It was and remains being today the most controversial plaza of the city, stage of great social events and witness of the most important events in history, such as: The May Revolution in 1810, declaration of independence in 1816 and the Constitution in 1860, where after the big dictatorship the Mothers of Plaza de Mayo claimed for the appearance of their children. Located between Balcarce, Rivadavia, Bolívar and Hipólito Yrigoyen by decision of Juan de Garay.
- Balcarce 50
Painted pink by the decision of President Sarmiento. Seat of the government since the First National Board in 1810. Over Rivadavia street we find the presidential entrance, over Yrigoyen the entry to the museum of the Casa Rosada. It has remains of the old customs.
Rivadavia and San Martín
Finished in 1822, an impressive architecture, with Italian paintings and sculptures in particular. Here lie the remains of the General José de San Martín, hero of independence.
Now here is the Museum of the Cabildo and the May Revolution. The Cabildo was the one which represented the interests of the people and where they carried out the declaration of independence and the First Meeting.
Alsina, Bolívar, Moreno, Perú
Iglesia San Ignacio - Colegio Nacional Buenos Aires
Land that used to belong to the Jesuits from1633 to 1767. During those years, the Jesuits built the church of San Ignacio. Once they were expelled, the University of Buenos Aires and the National Congress took its place. What draws the attention about this block are the tunnels that connect the surrounding buildings.
Alsina y Defensa
German style church, with figures of St. Francis of Assisi, Giotto, Dante Alighieri and Cristóbal Colón. Opened in 1754.
In 1955 there was a major fire that forced tapestries to be placed on the altar in order to fix the damage, as much of the internal decoration and the altarpiece was lost. The tapestries were 12metros x 8 meters, the largest in the world.
San Roque Chapel, shares the square with the Church and Convent of San Francisco. With images made in polychrome wood.
San Francisco Square.
Alsina and Defensa.
As there were many followers and faithful people, the Church of San Francisco was not able to cope with everybody, therefore the San Francisco square was built, in order to create more space and enlarge the church. Astronomy, Industry, geography and navigation were the sculptures represented in the Pyramid of May
Avenue Belgrano and Defensa
Maintains the same structure as when it was opened in 1773. It has three naves and lateral chapels. Here lie the remains of Manuel Belgrano.
Avenida de Mayo 575, Montserrat
It is from the nineteenth century, declared National Historic Monument. Today, it performes shows, workshops and courses organized by the House of Culture of the Government of Buenos Aires, which is located here along with other government offices. The founder of the newspaper La Prensa, José C. Paz, was responsible for its construction in 1898.