- The city
This neighborhood is located in the south-east boundary of the city, and its name is because it is located in the mouth of the Riachuelo from la Plata River.
1. Set design Mural, Almirante Brown 36
Recreates, with objects and drawings, a typical scene of the neighborhood. Among the characters we find the accordion player Aníbal Troilo, Diego Maradona and the painter of La Boca, Benito Quinquela Martín.
Made by the neighbors of the South Catalina Theatre Group with bars, wood and sheets of a tenement.
2. Yellow House, Almirante Brown 401
It is a copy of the house of Admiral Guillermo Brown (Irish naval officer pioneer of the Argentine naval forces), built in territories near the original one.
Inside the department of Historic Naval Studies and the Brown Institute operate, it also has a library and a room of multiple uses.
Over the AlmirantBrown Avenue the first theatres of La Boca were erected: Ateneo Iris, Panterpe and Dante Alighieri, where Italian lyrical operas were performed.
3. Church of Our Lady of the Immigrants, Necochea 312
In honor to all the immigrants that arrived to Argentina, and especially, to La Boca. The plans are form the architect Luis Lanari and it was built with the help of immigrants from different nationalities. Inside there is a bas-relief of Roberto Capurro; the stained-glass windows are from Juan Ballester Peña, Raúl Russo and Armando Sicca.
4. Ghost Tower, Almirante Brown and W. Villafañe Avenue
A legend of the neighborhood says that in the viewpoint on the last floor the ghost of a painter who committed suicide lives there. By the architect Guillermo Álvarez.
5. Pizzería Banchero, Almirante Brown 1200
Opened by the Genoese immigrant Agustín Banchero in 1932. It is one of the most traditional pizzerias in Buenos Aires. It has several branches in the city.
6. Church San Juan Evangelista. Olavarría 486
The old church started operating in 1859. In 1870, residents claimed to the Government of the Province an independent jurisdiction. Therefore, the church of San Juan Evangelist became the headquarter of the first Peace Court. This event stated the jurisdictional limits of the neighborhood.
The current temple was opened in 1886 according to the plans of the architect Pablo Bessana.
7. Fire Station, Brandsen 567
By initiative of Mr. Tomas Liberti, the department of voluntary firemen of La Boca was created in Juliy 2, 1884.
Firemen had a fundamental action during the epidemics of yellow fever and periodical floods due to the overflow of the Riachuelo.
8. Boca Juniors Stadium, Brandsen 805
“La Bombonera” belongs to one of the most popular clubs in the Argentine Republic: Boca Juniors (the other one is River Plate in Nuñez).
It has space for 60.000 people and was opened in 1940. On the exterior you can see the mural made by the artist Pérez Celis.
9. Wax Museum. Del Valle Iberlucea 1261
The house is from the early twentieth century, in it the Socialist Committee settled down and whose president was Dr. Alfredo Palacios.
Nowadays it is the only wax museum in Argentina, in which the essence of the neighborhood is demonstrated by scenes that evoke the epic of the South of Buenos Aires, since its origins until today.
In five rooms the work of the sculptor Domingo Tellechea, Founder of the museum, is exhibited.
10. La Perla Bar, Magallanes and Del Valle Iberlucea
One of the bars with more tradition in the area. Located in the area of the art galleries, antique shops and exhibition rooms.
11. Street Museum Caminito
In the 1950 decade, the neighbor Arturo Cárrega decided to recover the territory were in the beginning a narrow river ran and then a train. Cárrega called the painter Quinquela Martín, who baptized the street of 100 meters as “Caminito” as the title of the popular tango of 1926 by Peñalosa and Filiberto. Donations form different artists were added. In 1959, Caminito became an outdoor museum with no doors.
12. Small Square of the Voluntary Firemen. Lamadrid and Garibaldi
The square is located on what it used to be a useless land. It has an amphitheater.
13. Proa Foundation, Av. Pedro de Mendoza 1929
A non-profit institution that encourages cultural projects of contemporary art. It has important international exhibitions and organizes cycles and conferences about current art.
14. Vuelta de Rocha, Av. Pedro de Mendoza and Del Valle Iberlucea.
Don Antonio Rocha was the owner of this territories where today the square with ship shape is erected, previously called “square of the sighs”, because it was where the genius met to remember their nation.
15. Pedro de Mendoza and Museum Quinquela Martín School, Av. Pedro de Mendoza 1835
In 1933, Benito Quinquela Martín donated a territory to build a primary school, an Argentine art museum and its own house and workshop. The painter himself decorated the classrooms with mural paintings. The museum´s collection, that operates in the third floor, was initiated by Quinquela Martín and includes his work and works of other Argentine artists.
16. La Ribera Theatre. Pedro de Mendoza 1821
Built in territories donated by Quinquela Martín, who also participated in the building of the theatre.
Opened in 1971, space for 700 spectators.
17. Old Ferry Bridge, Pedro de Mendoza and Almirante Brown.
Inaugurated by the South Railway Company in 1914. Iron structure. The old birdge was hanged from an articulated rigid frame. It was used by pedestrians, cars and trains.