- The city
- Buenos Aires is the favorite city in America when it comes to enjoy the most popular and passionate sport in the planet: football. Every year millions of tourists from all the corners of the world arrive to Argentina´s capital to see the matches in the historic stadiums in Buenos Aires, visit museums of the clubs, be present in trainings, meet players who they have as idols, etc.
The city is the headquarter of the first Association of collectors of football shirts, entity that promotes collecting and fights piracy, besides doing charity and social events. www.aaccf.com.ar
If you are fan of football, you should know the main stadiums where Argentines live their passion in each match.
Brandsen 805, Capital Federal.
The “Bombonera” was opened on May 25, 1940. On Sunday, June 2, 1940was the first official match: Boca Juniors against Newells Old Boys of Rosario and won 2 to 0, goal from Alarcón and Gandulla. In 1949, the building started and ended in 1953 after consecutive inaugurations of works such as the termination of the third BANDEJA and the artificial illumination of the stadium. In 1986, it was decided that the Bombonera would be named “Dr Camilo Cichero”, in honor to its president, during his term of office the fundamental stone for the building of the stadium was placed.
Since then the “Bombonera” did not suffer modifications until 1996, when under the presidency of Mauricio Macri the stadium was inaugurated again. Therefore, the old boxes facing the Del Valle Iberlucea street where demolished, replacing them by a small stand. New boxes where built over this stand, of metallic structure and two huge handmade walls by the plastic artist Perez Celis were inaugurated. They unify the VIP area of the old Bombonera with the new boxes. Besides decorating the walls are 15 works made by the artist Romulo Macció.
In 2002 the name was changed to “Alberto J. Armando”-current name-.
The stadium has parking space, bar, café and concessionaire, an area (Stall L) created for disabled people in wheel chairs and their respective companions. Enter by elevator.
The Atheltic Club Boca Juniros is recognized for its fans called “the 12” as they were one more player.
Libertadores de América Stadium, Avellaneda.
The Independiente Stadium was the first one to be built with cement in all Latin America and was opened in 1928. The main characters of the football history played there, such as Diego Maradona, Pelé, Alfredo Distéfano and Johann Cruyff, among others.
In 2006 it was closed for a complete remodeling.
Already in its final building stage, which will be the new house of this Red team and will be opening the next year. The stadium will have space for 40.000 seated spectators and it will be seen in February 8, 2009.
Independiente is the club that more “Copa Libertadores de America” has won: he won it in 7 opportunities.
For more information: http://www.independiente.com
Juan Domingo Perón Stadium.
Its stadium is the second in capacity in Argentina, located in Mozart and Corbatta streets. The colors that identify the club are light blue and white, In the mateur era it won seven consecutive championships, nicknamed as “The Academy”, and it is still call this way.
In the professional era it was the first Argentine tri-champion and the first champion of the America´s champions.
Racing is one of the five great of the Argentine football and its historic rival is the Athletic Club Independiente, with which it fights for the Avellaneda Classic, one of the most important sport event in the world.
Place where the World Cup of the 78´ took place and Argentina won, and where the most important matches of the national team are played.
In October 31, 1934 the selling of the territories was signed (83.950 square meters, 35.000 of them were ceded to the Municipality where the new stadium was built in Ñunez. The initial cost of the construction reached a sum of 4.479.545,80, though it was reduced to 3 million pesos when the commission decided not to build the north stand. A characteristic feature of the building was that they opted for a direct founding, six or eight meters deep, with open pit excavation to allow the stability of the ground and a pump bildge for water that bursted. The construction of the three stands was held in two years. It had 50 kilometers of bleachers, 26.000 square meters of concrete and a frame of almost 3000 tons of steel. Few years later, in the middle of the Second World War, steel would have cost more than what building all the stadium costed. It has space for 65.645 spectators, with 25.568 seats.
The opening game of the Monumental Stadium "Antonio Vespucio Liberti", in May 25, 1938, was between River Plate and Peñarol (Montevideo, Uruguay). River won 3 to 1.
New Gasometer, Av. Perito Moreno and Varela.
The Athletic Club San Lorenzo de Almagro is one of the five great football teams in Argentina. It was founded in the neighborhood of Almagro in Buenos Aires City, April 1, 1908, by initiative of a group of young people with the help of the salesian priest R.P Lorenzo Massa.
It was the first Argentine institution that in the professional era an unbeaten champion (1968, Metropolitan Championship) and in 1972 national champion for the second time (Metropolitan and National, again unbeaten). It has the record of Argentine football with 13 consecutive triumphs, achieved between “Clausura”(closing season) and “Apertura”(opening season) of 2001.
The institution has at present a Sport City of 27 hectares in the heart of Buenos Aires, there in December 16, 1993 “The New Gasometer” was opened, the stadium gave back the home that the team did not have since the closure of the old “Gasometer” in La Plata Avenue in 1979, true cathedral of the Argentine football.
Vélez Sarsfield. José Amalfitani Stadium, Av. Juan B. Justo 9200, Versailles.
January 1, 1910, in the house of Nicolás Marin Moreno, was formalized the foundation of the Atheltic Club Argentinos de Velez Sarsfield. The first president named was Luis Barredo and two teams were integrated: one of third and other of fourth division. The uniform was the traditional white t-shirts, that were within everyone reach and matches were played in the field of Ensenada and Provincias Unidas. Two years later they made a change in the official uniform: royal blue t-shirts and white shorts.
Vélez was champion for the first time in December 29, 1968. The team won 10 matches, 39 goals and achieved the heaviest defeat of the season when they won 11 to 0 against Huracan from Bahia Blanca. The World Cup of 1978, it had as second headquarter the Liniers stadium, which was remodeled according to the rules from the FIFA. New boxes were built and the capacity of the “New Fort” was of 50.000.