- The city
The historic area brings together the history and memory of Buenos Aires. Located to the South of the City, it is composed by the neighborhoods of San Telmo and Monserrat and the major part of the oldest buildings in City are there, besides others of important heritage value from later times. The cobbled streets, lampposts, balconies and patios with cistern, churches, museums, fairs, remarkable cafes and the famous tango which you can listen in every corner, all these turn this area into an extraordinary witness of time and one of the fundamental references of the Buenos Aires identity.
- Located between Balcarce, Rivadavia, Bolivar and Hipolito Yrigoyen. Together with the second foundation of Buenos Aires, in 1580, Juan de Garay decided the location of the Plaza Mayor which today is Plaza de Mayo. IN 1810 it was the scenario of the May Revolution, start of the Argentinian independence, in 1816 it was where the declaration of the Independence was sworn and in 1860 the National Constitution. During the dictatorship, since 1977, it was the meeting place of the Mothers of Plaza de Mayo, who claimed for the appearance of their children kidnapped by the military dictatorship. Today it is still the meeting point for social manifestations. In the middle of the plaza a Pyramid stands in honor to the first anniversary of the 1810 Revolution.
- Balcarce 50
Since the first Meeting of 1810, in these areas stands the seat of the National Government, but the current building was ended in 1884. President Sarmiento (1868-1874) was who decided to paint pink the government house.
On Rivadavia is the presidential entrance, at the back you can see the remains of the old customs, over Yrigoyen is the entrance to the Casa Rosada´s Museum.
Rivadavia and San Martín
The first Cathedral in Buenos Aires was raised in 1622 in this same territory. The current building, after a century and a half of constructions, was ended in1822. Inside there are portraits and sculptures. Mainly of Italian artists.
In a mausoleum the rests of General José de San Martín lie, one of the heroes of the independence.
In colonial times it was the institution that represented the local interests. The current building began in the early eighteenth century, bur suffered several modifications.
In 1810 it was the center of the events leading to the First Government Meeting and the subsequent Declaration of Independence.
Inside the Museum of the Cabildo and the May Revolution operates.
Alsina, Bolívar, Moreno, Perú
Iglesia San Ignacio - Colegio Nacional Buenos Aires
In this area, the Jesuits settled down in 1633. After their expulsion in 1767, in these blocks the University of Buenos Aires and the National Congress were built. The complex presents underground galleries from the eighteenth century that connect them to other buildings nearby.
San Ignacio Church. Started in 1686, it is the oldest one in the City. It was the largest temple of the Jesuits.
Buenos Aires National School. It is one of the most prestigious ones in the country. It history goes back to the early eighteenth century, though it has held its current name since 1863.
Alsina and Defensa
The building started in 1730 by Andrea Bianchi, it was opened in 1754. In the early twentieth century, the German Sackman remodelled the facade, giving the German baroque style it has today. The front is crowned by sculptures that represent San Francisco de Asis, Giotto, Dante Alighieri and Cristobal Colón. Part of its inside decoration and the altarpiece vanished after the fire of 1955. In order to repair it one of the largest tapestry in the world (8 by 12 meters) was paced over the main altar. The atrium is shared with the San Roque Chapel, which opens the 16th of each month to celebrate the patronal feast. Inside there are polychrome wooden images from the eighteenth century.
Plazoleta San Francisco.
Alsina and Defensa
Its statues - which represent Astronomy, Industry, Geography and Navigation – formerly surrounded the May Pyramid. The square was developed by the necessity of expanding the atrium of the church, due to the many faithful who attended its services.
Avenue Belgrano and Defensa
The building of the temple began in 1733. It is one of the churches that best preserves its original lines, with its Jesuit plant of three naves and is lateral chapels of little depth. Holds the remains of the statesman of the nineteenth century, Manuel Belgrano.
May Avenue 575, Monserrat
This Historical National Monument was inaugurated in 1898, work ordered to a study of Parisian architects by José C. Paz, founder of the newspaper La Prensa (which operated there until 1992). It is one of the most luxurious buildings from the nineteenth century in the city: six floors and two substrates that are structured around a central courtyard.
Today it is occupied by the Culture House of the Buenos Aires Government (which organizes shows, courses and workshops) and other government offices.